Rapid adoption and growth of cloud solutions shouldn’t be a surprise for anybody. Processing data in the cloud and additional services offered by this model accelerate not only efficiency but also innovation. What cloud computing trends should you watch for in 2022?
There are multiple factors to include. The latest events in cloud computing mean technological optimizations, but also economic and political pressures. Regulators and government officials in the U.S. and China will decide where and how big cloud operators can do business. At the same time, the European Union is looking for solutions to adjust the cloud and provide data sovereignty. That opens up the third battlefield for current and future providers.
Here are the top trends in cloud computing for 2022 and probably beyond.
Table of contents
Cloud computing trends in 2022
1. Containerization gets traction. Containers bring the gift of virtual machines that powers up even the most complicated projects out there. Predictable software performance across various hardware platforms is a must. Since people don’t want to be chained to a device but rather to use applications anywhere they want, companies have to scramble for quality, performance, and seamless user experience.
Containers give control. Applications are limited to their packages and dependencies, meaning that they can be easier controlled and maintained. Containers are also portable. That gives you another advantage – consistency in performance across the entire application and distribution of resources within the product.
2. New environments – hybrid and multi-cloud. Hybrid clouds are something between private and public clouds. This is one of the biggest cloud computing trends. A private cloud lets companies store the data on-site, enabling quick access but also generating security issues. Benefits? Low latency and high data transfer speeds. A public cloud offloads the data to a third-party server. This lowers operational costs. A hybrid solution tried to merge these approaches, adding additional value.
A hybrid cloud is a good choice for companies that operate on large media files that are constantly accessible from local devices. A streaming service would be a good example here. A multi-cloud, on the other hand, is a solution where two public clouds operate as one. The generated benefit is higher data redundancy.
3. Edge computing enters the stage. The 19th and 20th centuries brought many inventions. One of them was the idea that cities and bigger municipality areas are good for life and economic development. Therefore, a lot of people migrated from rural areas to cities like London, Chicago, San Jose, and others. The problem with that? Not all people in the world live in cities, but they have needs and money to cover them. Just like anybody else.
That’s why edge computing, known also as decentralization of servers, data, and processing power was born. Shorter response times, coupled with an even quicker ability to process information about habits, needs, local IT infrastructure and owned devices, give organizations invaluable insights into consumers’ perception of market services.
4. Sustainability drives innovation. The idea behind reducing something called “a carbon footprint” goes beyond ecological reasons. It saves money and drives further product innovation. By sharing server space and power with other software products, companies can limit carbon emissions by an estimated 30%.
Not to mention reduce power costs, which will become even bigger issues in the upcoming years. The infrastructure in many parts of the world is stretched thin because streaming, video gaming, and cryptocurrency mining are so popular. Migrating to the cloud and basing architecture on microservices are serious alternatives for many organizations out there.
5. The dream about cloud gaming becomes real. According to Newzoo, cloud gaming should conquer the world. With an estimated 23.7m paying users by the end of 2021 and $1.6b generated in profits, this latest addition to the gaming world will shatter existing business models.
Consumers can now own multiple devices or just one. Microsoft is preparing to add an Xbox console as a service. Accessible through new and powerful TVs, this service will only require a physical controller to play. Everything else – processing, storing, and displaying a game, will run through the cloud. This model of hybrid and on-demand play is already available on PC and smartphones.
6. Cloud is getting smarter with A.I. According to Gartner, organizations’ need for strong artificial intelligence (A.I.), support will only grow stronger. Market predictions and analysis tell us that some projects will not go beyond the phase of prototype or proof-of-concept phases. Although in some cases it might sound like an exaggeration, it makes a lot of sense.
Analyzing user data and enabling low skill set users (as well as those with limited budgets) to grow through the power of the cloud are already happening, across the globe. Today even small companies can afford at least some versions of the cloud service. That’s a powerful tool for development.
AI also powers up critical processes. It helps in infrastructure maintenance and control, power usage, cooling systems, network management, and more.
7. Skill shortage. Cloud trends are clear – more companies will need this type of service with each passing year. There’s a problem, though. Not enough talent on the market. Not everyone knows how to work with the cloud, Amazon Web Services (AWS) for example.
That’s why you need a solid partner for development in AWS. Especially when there’s a lot to do with it, analytics included.
8. “The everywhere cloud” in a city near you. Amazon Web Services grows through additional AWS Local Zones. It also implements Ground Station and “Internet of Billion of Things”. Amazon doesn’t take prisoners in its pursuit of a technologically diverse future and offers new elements of the puzzle. More on that from Amazon’s CTO, Dr. Verner Vogels:
Don’t go alone, take this!
This brings us to the conclusion. Top trends in cloud computing show that change requires knowledge and skill. Everything progresses at a rapid pace. You don’t want to be left behind, without an app that’s not performing on the market.
Choose the right partner, since cloud computing trends to follow in 2022 don’t leave a lot of room for interpretation. Take this guide (questions to ask a software development company) for software development and let’s go on an adventure! You can also check a brief list of top cloud providers.